0131 5500 414 pt@ptlaw.co.uk

Hague Convention involving International child abduction

In the difficult situation of international child abduction, where one parent has taken a child overseas without the permission of the other parent, it’s key to have an experienced family law solicitor on your side who understand the relevant international agreements and protocols who can support you through this process. When foreign laws are involved, cases like this can become complex and very confusing to navigate alone.

If you’re thinking of relocating your child it is vitally important to ensure you are following the 1980 Hague Convention which operates between more than 80 countries and defines what constitutes abduction. Without legal advice, you could be facing penalties such as fines or imprisonment if found guilty of child abduction.

Whether you are planning a move overseas with your children or are trying to prevent a former partner from relocating with your children without your permission, you should seek urgent legal advice.

Our Principal Solicitor, Paul Taylor, has worked on a range of international child abduction cases. Let us help you resolve your dispute in an efficient and effective way.

If you need a family lawyer, contact our Edinburgh family team on 0131 550 0414.



We can help with

Separation Agreement Creation

In the event of your relationship breaking down, we can help you outline what happens with your children, property and finances.

More Info

Financial Provision & Claims

Ensure you and your family are sufficiently provided for financially in wills or divorce cases under the intestacy rules. 

More Info

Residence & Contact Disputes about Children

Having a dispute around residency or contact with your child? Let us support you during this stressful time.

More Info

Relocation & Abduction of Children Disputes

If your family are dealing with a relocation and/or abduction of a child, we can help support you and resolve the situation.

More Info

International Child Abduction

If you’re dealing with the complexities of international child abduction, we can represent you and help to resolve the situation.

More Info

Pre & Post-Nuptial Agreements

Protect yourself and clearly define how finances, property and other assets will be divided in the case of a marriage breakdown.

More Info

Cohabitation Contracts

 If you’re an unmarried couple, set out how finances are split when living together or what happens in the event of a split.

More Info


Ensure your assets are divided as per your wishes with our will writing service. We can also help with will disputes.

More Info

Power of Attorney

Appoint people to help make decisions on your behalf when you’re no longer able to with our Power of Attorney services.

More Info