0131 5500 414 pt@ptlaw.co.uk

separation agreements

When a relationship breaks down, it can be very stressful not knowing what your future financial circumstances will be or what you are entitled to receive when that relationship comes to an end.

At Paul Taylor Family & Civil Law, we can help you understand all of what your financial entitlements are post separation.

A separation agreement can or may apply:

  • When you’re separating from your husband, wife or civil partner after at least 1 year of marriage or civil partnership.
  • When you’re separating from a partner that you live with or have children with but who isn’t your husband, wife or civil partner.

There are a number of things to consider and work out that you may wish to include in a separation agreement, such as:

  • If you have children, where they live and how often they will see each parent?
  • Where you’re going to live and what happens to any jointly owned property.
  • How to divide up your finances, assets or debts.
  • Whether you can afford to pay bills and living costs once you are both living separately

In the vast majority of cases there is no need to go to court once a separation agreement is in place.

Even if you have had a conversation with your former spouse, partner or civil partner and you have both decided how the future looks, getting the right legal advice at an early stage in the separation process is crucial to ensure you have legally protected yourself and your family.

If you’re looking for legal advice on your separation agreement or divorce, speak to our Edinburgh family team on 0131 550 0414.


We can help with

Separation Agreement Creation

In the event of your relationship breaking down, we can help you outline what happens with your children, property and finances.

More Info

Financial Provision & Claims

Ensure you and your family are sufficiently provided for financially in wills or divorce cases under the intestacy rules. 

More Info

Residence & Contact Disputes about Children

Having a dispute around residency or contact with your child? Let us support you during this stressful time.

More Info

Relocation & Abduction of Children Disputes

If your family are dealing with a relocation and/or abduction of a child, we can help support you and resolve the situation.

More Info

International Child Abduction

If you’re dealing with the complexities of international child abduction, we can represent you and help to resolve the situation.

More Info

Pre & Post-Nuptial Agreements

Protect yourself and clearly define how finances, property and other assets will be divided in the case of a marriage breakdown.

More Info

Cohabitation Contracts

 If you’re an unmarried couple, set out how finances are split when living together or what happens in the event of a split.

More Info


Ensure your assets are divided as per your wishes with our will writing service. We can also help with will disputes.

More Info

Power of Attorney

Appoint people to help make decisions on your behalf when you’re no longer able to with our Power of Attorney services.

More Info